Monday 9 May 2011

The wedding dress of the year... cut down to size (3T)



You are probably now shaking your head in wonder that any 3 year could be so over-indulged. I have to tell you, I can see where you're coming from but I can justify my insanity by telling you about her most-wanted list, every item on which has been refused by me/her daddy on the various grounds of:

cost (Lelli Kellys)
parental idleness (kitten(s), puppy, rabbits)
lack of space (4 horses)
lack of age (a rainbow car, ballet lessons, a DS)
health and safety (old yogurt, cilit bang (for the benefit of international readers: a hard-core cleaning agent), candles, turning the hot tap on and off)
all of the above (mobile phone)

Some of these things she will get when she has her own money. Others she will get when she has her own house, though I hope she's not holding her breath for the 4 horses. Now I'm not losing any sleep over the rainbow car decision but I do sometimes have pangs over refusing the Lelli Kellys - other little girls in her class have them and, heaven knows, I'd have stepped over my mother to get a pair when I was three. But £50 for a pair of shoes she can't even wear to school? No way!



So when she watched, with open mouth, the Royal Wedding last week and announced that Kate Middleton's dress is much nicer than any of the dresses that mummy had made for her, I decided to really indulge her. It's a dressing up dress, complete with stretch lace overlay, 3/4 sleees, small train and long veil. It isn't quite full-length - something that has not gone unnoticed by Laura! - so she can even scoot in it.



I say it's a dressing up dress because that's what it's meant to be. It's actually a 'going everywhere except nursery and mass' dress. We got a fair amount of attention in Ikea until I shoved her into the Smaland playzone so her brother could get the funny looks instead of me. I understand the nice childcare assistants had a lovely time playing with the veil...





And even I had to laugh when she accessorized it with raincoat and umbrella for going to the library. But we have to pick our battles in this life and you know what?, I bet the Duchess of Cambridge would love to do her shopping in her wedding dress, so I'm going to continue to let my 3-year old mini-Duchess do just that!

Notes for other over-indulgent mummies - I hacked the Farbenmix Olivia pattern for the dress body and sleeves. The train is just a pleated length of satin. The collar is a length of lace sewn onto the neckline. Or you could just buy one from my Etsy shop!




7 comments:

Nicole said...

I absolutely love it, love it! What a brilliant idea, the dress is really nice, understandable that your daughter wants to wear it everywhere she goes!

Cindy said...

Your mini-duchess is darling and certainly not overindulged! I love that she wants to wear it everywhere.:)

KID, MD said...

Utterly brilliant!! My daughter would die. And her birthday in coming up...

Kathy said...

I love that. You are a great mum to indulge this one whim!

Beangirl said...

that is the BEST, you are a Very Good Mummy.

Princess Closet said...

You're an amazing mum, hopefully my Shasha won't see this and insist on the same, you did an amazing job!

mermaids said...

not over indulgent at all. the dress is fantastic. i can see why she would want to wear it everywhere. many woman would love to wear that dress everywhere. :) so adorable! love it with the raincoat and umbrella

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...